Cycles wood floor


I said I would make a separate post for the floor material, this is how it turned out after some more nodes knitting.

I used a Cgtextures wood tileable image and I made an improved bmp image from it in Gimp (though the original may be used as well, but I thought I would accentuate the parallel groves a bit. I don’t have a paid account there so the map is not very high res and this shows a bit… I also just realised the scaling in the UV mapping is a bit large, I’ll fix it next round.

Then I knitted and knitted….

I found the RGB node can help adjust the color and intensity of the texture; I also added a glossy node with the texture plugged into the roughness, the effect is visible on the right side of the image.
Right now the nodes window looks clearer to me than the materials panel but I made a screenshot of that too:

I also knitted a lot on the glass material with no success… except some psichedelic artifacts that looked interesting but not useful, I did not get far. If I get some reflection in, the glass starts to look milky, looses transparency. I’ll try some more next time, for now I took the glass out. I also put a blue background and tested taking it out in Gimp with color selection and pasting the background in there. It’s a bit choppy as it is only a test, but doable.


  • Carrozza

    Awesome floor you made there!
    I agree with you that in this setup nodes are clearer than material panel.
    About glass, did you have a look at the glass thread over at “Blender tests” forum?

  • Oana

    I didn’t get time to look it up yet but it’s obvious I’m not getting there by myself, will go ask for help 🙂

  • Maybe you should try, for the displacement, converting the image from rgb to black and white: “there is a node for that!” . After this, manage the intensity with a math (multiply) node.

    On the other hand the whole image looks pretty good! Great job!


  • Oana

    Thanks, I didn’t think of that BW node. I’m still a bit stuck in the material node system. I have recently learned to use the Compositor and there the possibilities seem endless, so here with the material nodes I keep bumping into the limitations and not understanding them well.

  • Pingback: Finished project – Cycles interior :: Blender Mama()

  • Hi,
    the picture looks great. Could you tell me a bit more about the lighting setup?
    I can’t seem to get a good sunlight. And the HDRI background always influences the lighting

    from Germany 🙂

  • Oana

    Hi Jonas,
    Thanks for writing 🙂

    I have not used HDRI lighting on this one but mean to try it soon.
    I have a bluish background color strenght 2, a yellowish sun set to 0.08 shadow size and 27 strenght and an emission plane at the back of the room (like a large picture on the wall) set to .2 strenght. The background image is on a plane outside the window and does not influence the lighting setup. This is not a foolproof scheme probably, I should go back to Cycles and get into the HDRI thing and generally experiment some more.

  • Alain
  • Oana

    Great! Thanks Alain, I’ve bookmarked the thread, I’ll soon have to take up cycles again, some interior visualisations coming up my way!